<VV> Carbs

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 12:51:46 EDT 2007

For all of you with the Rochester carburetor blues,  you might want to take a look at  these dual 34mm Solex carbs.   I haven't yet tried adapting them to a Corvair engine.  They appear small enough  to deliver economy as well as good driveability.  The HV Rochester has a throttle bore of 31.75mm  (1 1/4 inches)  , a venturi size of  25.40mm  (1 inch)  and typically  has main jets sizing of about .051" (1.30mm), .052" (1.32mm), .053"(1.35mm), .054"(1.37mm), .055"(1.40mm) or .056" (1.42mm).   The '65 shop manual  lists .051" as spec for 110 & 95.  but slightly larger is necessary for today's oxygenated fuels, I believe. The Rochester experts know all the specifics.   I do not.      Take a look at  these Solexes http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C18%2D3285       They aren't much larger than HV's  and the venturi size shouldn't be too much larger than the Rochester HV's  so that all your fuel economy goes out the window.  Based on the fact that the stock
 1971-1974 VW Beetle Carb, the  34 PICT- 3   Solex   has  a  Venturi size of 27mm   and  a Throttle Bore of 34.00mm   and that this kit of 34mm duals  is  designed to work  with  stock 1600cc VW engine,   I would think that the Venturi size on these duals would be no larger than 27mm.     Jet sizing is changeable  on these .  Jet sizing is changeable on the 34 PICT- 3  Beetle carb as well.   The Venturi is fixed  unlike the really ancient smaller VW carb that had a removeable venturi that formula vee people used.     FOR CORVAIR: You could mount the carbs on top of a cut down junk turbo cross over tube--Just cut it off  where its still straight up over the head  on each side,  weld up a base for the carbs  (this way the carbs will be a few inches off the head)  adapt the aftermkt vw  hexbar type linkeage  and away you go.  Heck, you  could probably  adapt  two 34 PICT-3  Beetle carbs with possibly better results than old leaky Rochester HV junk  but you had better KNOW how
 to really adapt/fabricate linkeage BEFORE proceeding.     I   don't think larger  two barrel dual carb set ups like 40mm IDF Weber or 44mm IDF  will be useful  if  your main concern is MPG.    The aftermarket VW dual port heads flow and perform  better for using those.   The 40mm  Kadron (Brazilian Solex)  single barrel dual carb kits  which can provide huge power with great fuel economy to dual port VW engines  are probably too big  for a stock 110  Vair.   Who  says you need a mechanical engineering degree  from Stanford,  Ga  Tech,  MIT, or Vanderbilt,  you'll "earn" a real world equivalent  from Vairyoubilt  in your garage.     Drive Safely and watch out for those nuts who don't .   The roads will be crowded this holiday weekend,  please take it easy and be safe  but have a great time!      Tamias   Metis