<VV> Ignition weirdness

Marc Marcoulides hharpo at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 11:52:08 EDT 2007

Had it happen to me, only I was on a long trip and instead of killing the motor it was substantial loss of power. Had to drive the freeway about 40mph (top speed) I don't do my own mechanical work (am a klutz) so took it to a mechanic with replacement pertronix in hand instructing them to replace it. Driving the car was back to normal with the replacement, I went to the vendor with this story asking for a refund. They said, no refund unless they were getting credit from pertronix. Next stop was to phone pertronix, they said my symptom was consistant with inadquate ground. (they said no refund, too) For me, since the replacement pertronix put my corvair back to driving I stopped my quest for a refund. About 6 months later the car was back to the mechanic for other maintenance and they discovered an ignition wire with insulation torn off and they replaced it. I prefer the pertronix to points and also have a 49 Chev w/216 it is on pertronix too and runs much better than points.