<VV> powder coat

Dominique Allen corvair at home-town.biz
Sun May 27 09:52:17 EDT 2007

Mike,

I got my powder coat from Harbor Freight
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=powder+coat

Caswell has a set-up for about the same price
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_coat.htm

My Harbor Freight set up came with four different colors that I did not like
very much.  I am powder coating all of my drive train components,
suspension, etc.  I am currently working on a set of rally wheels that the
chrome is coming off.  I sand blasted and powder coated them black.  They
turned out great.

As for the powder coat I am doing everything in black so I got a 50 lbs box
of powder coat from the Sherman Williams distributor here in Kansas City.  I
believe that I paid $150.00 for the box.  It will defiantly last me a long
while.  Cheaper to buy in bulk if you are doing many parts.  A 5 lbs bag
cost almost 5 times as much.  I have another car that I will be working on
after this one.

I have gotten great results from all of my powder coat projects.  I have
been doing the following when I do a part.

1. Clean/degrease as needed.
2. Bead blast to remove all dirt and rust.
3. Use pre-solvent from the local paint store to do a final clean.
4. Apply powder coat.

I use an old kitchen stove to do my curing.  I follow the powder coat
instructions for cure times.

Either than the cost of a stove or appropriate cure ovens the cost is very
minimal.  If you want to go with a kitchen stove look at a used appliance
store and get the biggest cubic foot oven you can get.

Best of luck to you, Dominique

"I live in the St. Louis, MO area.  I am thinking about powder coating the
engine "sheet metal."  Any advice on whether or not to powder coat?
Expense?  Can anyone recommend a good powder coater?  Thanks for the info!
My restoration project is slow but every step is a step in the right
direction!

Mike"