<VV> Turbo Fuel Return Tees

RKHenry robert.henry at earthlink.net
Sun May 27 23:24:18 EDT 2007

What's the deal with the rubber tee on the fuel vent that takes returned
fuel on a Turbo Corvair?

I just went for a drive in my '65 Corsa and when I pulled into the garage, I
smelled gas. Sure enough, it's dripping fuel, and it's coming from the
rubber Tee. So now I have to replace that part AGAIN! I've lost count of how
many of these things I've replaced. They swell up and split open along the
seam on the back edge. I haven't had a chance to inspect this current leak,
but I can see that the rubber Tee seems kind of bulgy.

It's not the cost of the parts, it's the chore of having to put it in. Drain
fuel, tear everything apart, wrestle the tank out, install the tee, wrestle
the tank back in. What a chore! I haven't found any easier way. I've tried
to see if I could slip it in without dropping the tank, but there's just no
other way than to drop the tank. It's getting to be so routine.

Is there a non-rubber replacement? Maybe a metal tee? When I first restored
the car, such a repair had already been done but the part didn't fit
properly, forcing the filler neck into an angle that pinched off the vent,
and the return line had been so mangled during installation so that fuel
wouldn't flow through it anyway.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Robert Henry