<VV> 1964 clutch: Here we go

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue May 29 00:04:41 EDT 2007

64 Spring:

The spring pulls down on the outside ends, force on the long outer
bolts. Place the jack under the spring near an end (under the bolt kit
is fine) and jack up until there is a little slack in the outer bolt
kit. Remove the three nuts holding the bolt kit to the control arm.
Lower jack and do the other side. Now remove the center bolts on the
differential and the spring will be in your hand.

No need to drain the transmission/differential before removing it. Just
remember it will leak if placed on its side, or any time you don't want
it to leak! gggg  Of course it is easier to drain the transmission
through the filler plug once it is out of the car and can be turned on
its side.

If it is just spilled oil under the turkey roaster, GUNK engine brite or
other chemical sprayed through the fan opening followed by flushing with
water, is the time honored method of washing the engine without
dissassembly.

Frank DuVal