<VV>Convertibles - Names

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 03:00:51 EDT 2007

 > > A "drop head" generally has an exposed top mechanism when folded
(VW, XK-140DHC). Since the Corvair top recesses into a well, that does
not strictly apply. Of course "roadster" and "speedster" usually refer
to two seaters. Consequently I suspect that even a Brit might call it a
"convertible" since it has roll up windows. < <

hmmm -- anyone recall any 'drop head sedans'?  are all 'drop heads'
coupes?  and what about the cabriolet? and why is my German car with a
removable hardtop called by a French name?

roadsters do not have roll up windows -- may I cite the entry rules for
the LA Roadster Show?  'Speedster', not to be confused with  the
Convertible 'D', is a model name used by numerous manufacturers, Opel,
Ford (http://www.nwvs.org/), an amplifier company, Harley-Davidson,
others, and some German firm that some folks think GM copied the Corvair
from -- if that happened, why aren't they Corvair Cabriolets -- maybe it
didn't happen ...

must be late,

Bill S