<VV> Long Distance Selling

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed May 30 08:28:45 EDT 2007

The reason to use cashier's checks was that they were certified funds
and did not have to clear.... as good as cash. That of course made them
a clear target for fraud. There are so many bogus cashiers checks around
now that banks seem to be holding them even longer than personal checks.

I'm with Matt... the only sure way is a wire transfer. The buyer will
likely want a certified bill of sale and proof that you have clear title
to the vehicle in question before wiring funds. (The bill of sale can be
contingent on the wire transfer).

In the end though, both parties have to have some trust. I've bought
vehicles sight unseen from Europe via wire transfer (much cheaper for
them and their usual method of payment) and have sold them overseas the
same way. I've not been burnt on a vehicle yet (though I have on parts
purchases).

You don't want to do anything much over $1000 via Paypal... too many
risks and the fees too high.

Good luck!
Bill