<VV> turbo non boost

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed May 30 11:37:30 EDT 2007

Dan,
    Yes, the exhaust system UPSTREAM of the turbo must  be without leaks in
order to build boost pressure.

Robert,
    How are you measuring "2-3" psi of boost?  Not  the original stock
manifold pressure gauge, I hope!  Install an aftermarket  gauge with a 4" dial and
calibrations showing every psi of boost (my Sears  "tune-up gauge" shows every
1/2 psi of boost).  Even if you install it  temporarily in place of the stock
gauge and hang it from the dash at least  you'll see what you're actually
getting.  The stock gauge is calibrated in  inches of mercury ("in. Hg") and each
"in Hg" is equal to about a  HALF psi of boost, that is, IF the 40+ year old
gauge even works!
    Also with the loooooong exhaust piping between  exhaust manifolds and
turbo it takes a few minutes under full load to build up  boost in the Corvair.
Get the engine fully warmed up (300+ deg. F on the  CHT gauge) get to the
bottom of a LONG hill and floor the accelerator pedal and  hold it for at least 3
minutes.  Four or five minutes is even better.   You should get at least 8 psi
of boost.  If the piping is insulated  you could get 10 psi, at least as long
as the piping lasts without leaks.
    Frank "gauges tell the REAL story"  Burkhard

In a message dated 5/30/2007 10:33:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,