<VV> Head Temps: New thoughts

George Jones georgedjones at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:24:25 EDT 2007

Not sure I agree with that train of thought. That's like putting your head
in the sand.

To some extent, each engine does operate at a different temp. The reason
that you want that gauge is to DETERMINE the operating range that YOUR
engine runs in, then you will know when your engine is operating outside
it's normal operating temperature. Then, you can make the determination if
it is something you want to stop and investigate (and possibly save your
engine from a melt down) or drive on into oblivion. That's why factory
automotive gauges aren't calibrage (or, arguably, accurate). It's not to
tell you exactly what your oil pressure is, or exactly what your temperature
is, it's to provide you with a relative reference to the normal operating
temperature or pressure. That doesn't mean that your gauges are way out in
left field, but I have seen factory gauges that are typically 15-25% off.

Just my 2¢ worth.

--
George Jones