<VV> '66 convertible top relay

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 30 17:23:16 EDT 2007

Excellent, I just finished a scribble sketch schematic for my '69 power top. It is identical in concept. The only difference is that the power to the switch comes from the head light switch, just like the '69 assy manual shows. Colors are identical.

   My problem (i found today) was an intermittent connector  where the red, Purple and Grey wires come through the sheet metal in the top well under the cloth. Some times the Red wire was hot, sometimes the Purple or Grey was hot.  The wire was not secured as shown in the manual, so after 60k miles and 38 years is started to slip apart depending how I jiggled the wires at the relay.

   I'll write a report as soon as time permits.

Padgett <pp2 at 6007.us> wrote:
  That seems to be one strange relay. Looks like the big red/white stripe goes
to the circuit breaker by the battery, Purple and Grey come from the dash
switch which goes to the ignition, smaller yellow and green wires go to the
motor to control direction. Large red wire goes to the motor and large
black goes from motor to ground under the relay screw. Not what I expected.

I can guess but does anyone know how the relay is wired inside ?

Padgett

MIKE KOVACS