<VV> $50 paint job

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 20:33:14 EDT 2007

Great Stuff!   Since it was $50 Canadian  wouldn't that translate to about $45 US  (50 x .90).         Years ago, about 1970 or 1971,  I remember talking cars with some old timers,    born  in the 19th century , 1890's I guess   and they told us about making 'cutdowns'  in the '20's  and painting their cars special colors with thinned oil based paint and brushes.   'Cutdown' if my memory is accurate is they cut away part of the body with hacksaw,  usually part of the fenders.  These 80 year olds  (then 1970)  claimed that you could do it and get it without any brush marks or flaws and deep rich shine.   One of the guys had a Velie  and Ford Model T exhibited that he claimed that he hand painted in his yard  less than ten years earlier,   T was a deep rich royal blue   and  the Velie was forest green,  they looked great, at first I thought he was pulling my leg,  but  they weren't.    The next time I saw anything about hand painting a car was someone showed me a copy of a
 British Magazine  called  "Your Classic"  whose entire subject matter was very low budget,  how to keep your old car rollin along kind of thing, for hands on nuts that were the farthest from 'purists' that one could be.  Anyway several of the various authors' project cars were painted by hand, low budget stuff that would make  even   the cheapest  Corvair owners feel at home.   -Good results too,   'Your Classic was published by  'Classic & Sportscar magazine people'   ---'Your Classic'  was  monthly from the 1980's  until  1993  or '94.       I guess this ancient lost art has now  been discovered.   I guess now anybody can be Earl Scheib Jr.  and paint their own car for $49.95.   ..".Cheap is smart and not too steep but best of all cheap is cheap... just gotta learn to economize on a low budget.".. - Ray Davies (Kinks    - Low Budget )"        Great posting and link.   Looks good too.   Chalk one up for the Canadians.    A  little fiberglass,  POR 15, and Bondo ,
 scavenge the wrecking yards  for a nice set of   suitable wheels and front seats from a newer Asian import/maybe backseat also   and  now that extra  yard dwelling  'parts  car'   can become a good lookin'  cheapo road warrior  or  a great lookin salt car for those of you in the icebox region.  Have fun wrenchin'   and modifying  them, but more fun  drivin' em  and that  doesn't mean pulling them behind your Suburban in either an open or enclosed trailer.   Get back to where you once belong----the long and winding road.        Tamias  Metis