<VV> Engine Noise

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 31 01:49:07 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/30/2007 3:59:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca writes:

Absolutely not. Corvair engines should be as near silent as anything  out
there, especially when at speed. Noises add up, so I'd start hunting  with a
stethoscope.

yea. Vairily ...  Shaun

Exhaust noise can be controlled or ignored on either water or air-cooled
motors. A front engined car has a bit more real estate to work with to dilute
and muffle the sound.  Engine noise, the sound of the ignition and burning
inside the cylinder, will make it's way out of the engine compartment. Water
Jackets, both in the head and the block, provide some sound deadening that
air-cooled motors just don't have. My late mother could recognize a Porsche 911  at
a distance, not by the silhouette, but by the engine sound, and she was no
car nut. Of course, she could hear me sneaking into the house after midnight, so
 I was not surprised!

- Seth