<VV> Towing a Vair?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 31 01:27:02 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/30/2007 7:54:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
merryjay at hotmail.com writes:

I need  advice on which tow bar to purchase and what special instructions
you recommend for towing a 66 Vert with a F150?
Thanks,
JAY Johnson

Jay  - I have flat towed Corvair(s) for more than 30 years (off and  on). The
tow bar I use is the one that Richard Finch built in the book "How to  Keep
your Corvair Alive". -The actual tow bar! I bought from Richard   with his
Stinger, towed that car for a few years and when I sold the  Stinger, I kept the
bar! My only improvement was to make it more easily  removable. When Richard
designed it, it was intended to be used on a real race  car, where the bumper
had to be removed while racing anyway. Eventually, I  wanted to use it on an
SCCA autocross car running in "Stock" class, F-stock to  be specific. In order to
be legal, I had to remove Richards body mount and bolt  on a bumper. Although
I became good at the track drill, it grew old. I took a  stock bumper and
modified it to present four front aimed blades for the bar to  mount on. (There
is some welded-in structure behind the blades.) The  bumper bolts on with all
the original brackets and bolts. Now I can show up at  the track, pull two
cotter keys, two pins and the tow bar is off. This bar towed  my Street "Stinger"
across country to Williamsburg in 1994 and back with no  problems and my 65
autocross Corsa to Portland and back in 2005. It doesn't look  hard to make and
it is quite practical! I have towed at least 35 vehicles with  it over the
years.

- Seth Emerson