<VV> reliability, actual, or perceived?

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 16:12:12 EDT 2007

My path to the waterless world came via the funny lookin humble herbies,  as back then it offered inexpensive reliable transportation for lots of us boomers.  Yes, it was antiquated but still most of us chose them  over  the squareback and fastbacks  which were for squares.  They were better, packaged, and drove better  but weren't  'cool'  and were more expensive.  Probably most of us that bought new  VW's then would  have picked  something else if our wallets had been fat.  Nearly half  the vehicles on campus were Beetles...      Anyway,  I do not want to offend anyone,  but back in the late sixties or early seventies,  none  of  'us' would have seriously considered a Vair, - though nearly everyone thought they were great looking cars-, they were considered a 'Problem Child' that one didn't touch with a ten foot pole.   Using the dumb vocabulary of the day, those that had the extra bread and wanted a far out car went with Iaccoca special or MGB.         Today,  though
 thanks to all of you  and  Clarks    &   Underground's   efforts  in  making  1000%  better stuff and just meeting the demands to keep Vairs on the road.     There is no reason why  a   Corvair  shouldn't  be  at least roadworthy...   not today in 2007.    Maybe in the '70's before lots of things were figured out... and How To.. by  Finch  came out.       Maybe  I am an idiot but the way I see it if you just want a nice shiny factory original rust free garage dweller or yard car  that   is your decision,    but  its much more fun to drive most cars than view them.     Many of the over 50 year old  VW fanatics that I know,   consider the Corvair to be a  good  car , given  that  most of the technical problems have been overcome,  parts are much improved and available.   Several that I'm good friends with have one  in addition to Ghias, Bugs, Things, and Buses.     Every gathering  that I've ever attended among the waterless wolfsburg nuts has welcomed nader specials.     I
 perceive that  some of  the  Vair  crowd  is  a little obstinate and uptight about insignificant things.      Come on people now....    .... It's Your Thing,  Do  Whatcha Wanna  Do.    ...There is the stock LM  who doesn't like  crazy LM  nut for selling telecolumns to the Corvette Crowd,   diff-rent strokes for different folks... everyday  people.    Nice,  Brilliant,  and Smart Corvair People who may differ some in how they approach things  but at the end of the day,  the common denominator  is their favorite car,  the little ol'  Nader special whether its bone stock, LM, EM,  red, green, primer colored, rusted, etc.    Insanely stupid,  the  ongoing friction  and childlike , I'll take my ball home  mentality..       What  aeroned brought up in his post is most valid.   My opinion is that  I would not have a vehicle that I did not feel could be trusted  for  road use and provide reasonable comfort/safety.  With all the technical wisdom and massive brainpower that you
 guys possess,   I  fail to see why  many  knock  the modifications that  might make their cars more enjoyable  without altering the cars fine attributes, ( e.g. seats, elec ignition, alternative carbs, elec fuel pumps,  F.I.  etc)  There is friction among the stock purists and racers who the purists feel are cutting up good cars.  All should give thanks for having the racers who provide the research and development  for  Corvair engine improvement.  Those guys deserve respect,   just as  the dedicated  original preservationists for the pains that they endure for their museum quality originality.    Perception is reality...  If  ya don't get along within the ranks,  and don't drive em enough,   how in the heck  do ya expect  to grow the ranks.   People might get the wrong perception  that those guys constantly  bicker over the dumbest things   and  say why bother?     They say perception is reality.   I'd suggest that one of the best ways to showcase Corvairs would be to
 attend  the local VWdubber gatherings at the burger joint,  just show up  driving your Vairs,    have a good time see what the lowly flat four fanatics are doin'  and  they'll get to see how good a properly done Corvair is.  Those VWdubber groups will welcome anything with wheels and the engine outback  whether its 78% rusty primer or show material.  They aren't snooty like some high dollar vehicle clubs.  Ya might be impressed by some of their rides, and I'm certain that they will surely impressed by yours.   You might see some things that  you could use  to improve your ride   such as  how some of them adapt aftermarket oil coolers,  modern airconditioning,  Weber, Solex, Dellorto,  Kadron ,  various fuel injection set ups,  and things like seats from newer cars.  Yes Vairs are vairily different from bugs in many ways, but there's a lot more in common that most people forget   and its real simple  just  everyday people having fun with  rear  engined  aircooled cars.
 -Just  one person's opinion  and like Sgt Schultz,   I know  nothing....                               Tamias   Metis