<VV> Steering Question/looseness

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 12:02:38 EST 2007

Russ,

Whenever I have purchased a "new" Corvair I have done the following things
(in order of expense) to make the cars (FCs) as tight as possible.
    Lube all front suspension points
    Clean and repack front wheel bearings and replace  worn parts as necessary
    Check tie rod ends (all four) for looseness and  replace as necessary
    Check the pittman arm bushing--usually  the first place to go--and
replace if necessary
    Check the idler arm and replace if necessary

If there is still too much play THEN AND ONLY THEN

    Check the lube on the steering box
    Check the steering box for tightness or play
    DO NOT ADJUST THE STEERING BOX UNLESS YOU DO IT (OR  HAVE IT DONE) BY THE
BOOK.  NEVER ADJUST JUST THE TOP NUT ACCESSIBLE IN THE  TRUNK--IT MUST BE
ADJUSTED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE BIG FRONT NUT ON THE STEERING  BOX ACCESSIBLE
UNDER THE CAR.

    If I remember your Corsa, it has fairly low miles  and the steering box
should only need minor adjustment IF ANY.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Kensington MD
'64 Greenbrier