<VV> Re: Re speed drive from a late differential (what would you do?)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Nov 5 22:27:30 EST 2007

At 20:08 11/5/07 -0500, tim colson wrote:

>if you wanted to use a late differential on a dunebuggy and have a speedo
>drive from it ..what would you do?  other than a 65 fc case  how
>would  you do
>it?   he wants to use a spyder dash on it.  any viable  ides? other than
>electronic drive or front drive and lots of guessing with  calibration?
>not my
>project , but close to here..
>thanks , tim colson

Hello Tim,

If your buddy wants to run a mechanical speedo, then all that is needed is
to bore out the speedometer drive boss on a '65 car case to make a late '65
FC style differential.  I have the drawings and a fixture to do this
operation.  I had the replacement case for our '65 Greenbrier bored at a
local machine shop (here in the great white Upper Peninsula of MI) but the
owner has since retired. I am sure Ken Hand could do the same modification
now that he has a vertical mill.  Ken assembled my differential using a '64
pinion shaft (with the speedo worm gear) and other internals from a '65
posi differential.  A couple years ago we advertised that this modification
could be done, but there were no takers.  I suggest you refer this fellow
to Ken Hand and let it go from there.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI