<VV> brake cylinder removal early

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Nov 5 22:32:07 EST 2007

Take the backing plate off the rear trailing arm. If the bolts are not
too rusty, I don't take the axles out of  the car, just let them hang so
the backing plates can be off the studs.

Sometimes I take the backing plate completely off the car and put it in
a vise if the bolt heads have rusted the flats off. I'm in the east you
know! gggg

Rebuilt many a wheel cylinder mounted to the backing plate. Not  just on
Corvairs. Good results. Then the automakers put blow out proof stops
(pistons are captive to backing plate lumps)  so it can't be rebuilt in
place.

Frank DuVal

six point socket or combination wrench helps on moderately rusted bolt
heads.