<VV> need help diagnosing fuel problem

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 7 00:06:21 EST 2007

There are 2 short rubber sections in the fuel line.  They could be blocked
or simply have an air leak.  The pump will NOT pump air.

You can put a stick into the filler neck, down into the tank and see if it
comes up wet with fuel if you are unsure about that.  Or jiggle the whole
car and see if you can hear the fuel slosh.

Replace the two hoses - one at the tank and one near the LR wheel.  See if
you can prime the pump.  Loosen the tapered bolt that holds it in place and
pump it up and down a dozen or 2 times.  You probably need to do this enough
to fill the carburetor bowls at this point.  Make sure the bolt is centered
in the detent on the pump when you tighten it up again.

If you are still not getting fuel, then the blockage is likely the strainer
"sock" inside the gas tank.  You'll need to drain the tank, which you can do
from the hose under the tank, and then remove the sending unit (special tool
for that but can often be done without it).  With the sending unit out,
check the condition of the tank for garbage, rust, etc.  You just might need
to take the tank out of the car, clean and seal it and put it back in.* see
below   Replace the sock and put everything back together.  I think there is
a gasket for the sending unit, so you want to have a new one handy.

*If the tank needs to come out, let us know and we can give some tips on
that.

Later, JR

CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)