<VV> towing a corvair

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Nov 7 18:11:02 EST 2007

Oog.  I don't like this plan at all.

Tow dollies did not exist when the Corvair was new.  Tow bars
did.  Tow dollies were invented to tow front-wheel drive cars, once
front wheel drive cars became prevalent.  Tow bars were used prior to
that time.

With the wagon's front wheels on the dolly, it will be a tail-heavy
setup.  With the wagon's rear wheels on the tow dolly, the balance
will be nice but the steering caster will play havoc with stability.

Tow bars that fit a Corvair are hard to find these days, but I've
towed literally thousands of miles with one.  I am probably the only
person on this list to flat-tow a Rampside over the Golden Gate
Bridge and a Monza convertible over the George Washington Bridge.

I've also trailer-towed Corvairs several thousand miles, and I've
used a tow dolly for a fwd car.

Using the V8 Dakota as the tow vehicle my recommendations would be,
in order of preference

1.  Small dual-axle trailer, with brakes
2.  Tow bar
3.  Fix the wagon and drive it
4. Tow dolly

--Bob