What good is FM? Re: <VV> listening to am radio one corvair guy... doesnt

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Nov 8 13:01:33 EST 2007

At 11:07 PM 11/7/2007, AeroNed at aol.com wrote:
>Forget AM
>Forget FM
>Forget Cassettes
>Forget CDs
>I'm hooked on satellite radio. Sure there's a monthly charge but there are
>also plenty of programming choices, something for everyone. You can tune to
>your  favorite station and drive anywhere in the country and listen. The best
>part is  most of the stations are commercial free, some are even DJ
>free. I'm
>addicted.

For me, it's MP3 files.  I have literally thousands of music files in
MP3 format that range from Beatles, Mr Bungle, Cactus, Nazareth,
Skinnard, ELP, Def Lepperd, Zep, Flock of Seagulls, Zappa, Rammstein,
ELO, Aldo Nova, Metallica, Oingo Boingo, Steppenwolf, Mott The
Hoople, Allmans, Stones, ... and that's just a scratch on the
surface.  I have a collection of "one hit wonders" as well as a batch
of stuff from years ago that nobody remembers anymore.   There's also
the stuff by Copeland and Matheney, and the classical symphonies and
select motion picture soundtracks, some of which are damned good
listening.   I also have some sci-fi/fiction novels on MP3, like The
Day Of The Triffids, Frankenstein, A Journey To The Center Of The
Earth, etc.   Then there's the (uncensored) comedy shows from the
likes of George Carlin, The Bobcat, Buddy Hackett, and Billy Connolly
which are a genuine riot.

You've heard nothing until you hear Buddy Hackett launch into a Vegas
style stand-up comedy routine.

Sat Radio may have a lot to offer, but so does my own music
collection and much of what I listen to is rather obscure stuff, and
very unlikely to show up on Sat radio.   And, it's already (in some
instances long since) paid for, no monthly fees.

And, it would likely take me a couple months of constant continuous
listening to hear it all.   Of course, if you have limited personal
resources, Sat Radio is handy.

Myself...got no shortage of stuff!

And, I could put the entire collection on a handful of CDs.   Or,
load up one of the newer hardcore MP3 players with 30 gig of storage
and not worry about CDs...   :)    'til then, it's the std MP3 player
and a patch cord.

tony..