<VV> oil pan leak

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 10 01:06:20 EST 2007

I agree (because the leak is when running only) that the cooler seals
(gaskets?) is the first place to look.  My favorite oil leak detection is a
good dose of brake clean, then watch.

Regarding the pan gasket, I'd say no RTV on a cork one (I gave up on cork
ones), but use a paper (they are thick) one with a very thin film of RTV
being careful not to get any toward the inner (of the block) side.  The
paper ones do not mush and squeeze out like the cork ones over time (with or
without RTV).  Of course, the pan itself usually needs some careful
attention with a hammer to be sure it is straight (flat) especially around
the bolt holes.

Later, JR
CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)