<VV> Lower shrouds

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 19:04:29 EST 2007

Yes, cooler weather means reinstalling the lower shrouds. We who remove
the shrouds every year, do it by bending the tab that holds the door pin
in place. By bending this tab, the pin can be pulled out and the lower
shroud drops out with the damper door still attached. Next year just
push the assembly back in place and put the pin in. Of course after a
few seasons of this the tab breaks off and you have to use a sheetmetal
screw and washer to hold the pin in. But most of the cars driven in the
cooler weather are not stock show cars where original tabs are necessary
for points. Doing it this way the rear grille does not need to be removed.

If everything is apart now, just assemble the lower shroud, thermostst,
rod, and damper door together. Place the door in position and install
the pin. If when the lower shroud is bolted in place the door does not
close, or you cannot pull it open (level with the ground) because the
thermostat stop holds it, then adjust the swivel. It is easy to do if
you do not bend the tab yet, just pull out the pin and lower the shroud.

I agree removing the rear grille is a PITA.

Frank DuVal