<VV> distributor

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 23:54:26 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/10/2007 8:04:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
epssax at yahoo.com writes:

My  friend, a long time Corvair driver/restorer, has a
slight problem.  He  has a 66 coupe, AC, 140/PG.  It
came with a 110 distributor in it  caused by a rear-end
collision that the PO had.  He is assembling  the
engine.  I told him I'd ask you guys if it was
possible to  change some things in the distributor to
make it 140,PG, AC  distributor.  Is it doable?
Weights, advance?  I'm asking because  I think the
correct distributor is rare.
Thanks in advance.   Ernie

Any competent speed shop can duplicate the advance curve of the 140 PG
distributor, P/N 1110339, as I remember. The vacuum advance is determined by the
separate advance unit, the amount of mechanical advance is determined by  the
travel in the slot of the pin beneath the point plate. The pin can be  sleeved
to reduce the amount of travel, the springs can be substituted with  lighter
springs to allow the advance to begin sooner. To check it, the  assembled
distributor should be tested on a Distributor machine, Sun, Allen  and other
companies made them. The first thing to do is ask on Virtual Vairs and  FastVairs
for anyone who might have one. - Seth  Emerson