<VV> Lower shrouds

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Mon Nov 12 07:44:18 EST 2007

Hi Stephen,

I just replaced my lower shrouds and I did it with the shrouds loose and
used a right angle needle nose with long handle to grip the rod and pull
it up to the door but make sure you pinch the retaining clip slightly so
it doesn't keep moving out of place.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

......and cool, now.  Unfortunately, the weather has begun to change and
it
is getting harder to reach normal operating temps (heating the oil
sufficiently) during short trips.  I'm considering reinstalling the
shrouds.  In the service manual it delineates the process for
installing the shrouds after replacing the thermostat.  Two things
are puzzling me.  #1. It states, "(to adjust the swivel on the rod)
Hold exhaust duct damper in the fully open position and pull the
thermostat actuating rod out the maximum travel (thermostat against
bracket stop) - What is the bracket stop?   #2.  It further states,
"Remove lower shroud assembly and connect retaining clip, then
install lower shroud as outlined"  The only time that I saw this done
(installing the shrouds) the person doing it used a bent wire to pull
the thermostat rod to the door connection while the shroud was
completely attached to the head.  Further, does the rear grill need
to be taken off (PITA) to accomplish this.  Any tricks of the hobby
would be appreciated.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
North Texas Corvair Association