<VV> Valve Seats

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 15 00:35:11 EST 2007

Hi Frank,

I think that his point was that dropped seats seem to be more common
(frequent?) today than in the past.  I don't know if that is true or not,
but it seems like a realistic assessment to me.

I feel (read that as opinion) that there are at least 2 factors involved (if
it is actually true) ...  There are possible more than two.

The first would be HOW HOT the head got and this would possibly account for
some (probably most) of those earlier failures you mentioned.

The second would be HOW MANY heat cycles the head has been through.  This
would be a head which "looks" good (passes tests such as compression or leak
down, etc), but STILL drops a seat (regardless of HP rating).

This many years later, who knows about the # of heat cycles?  So, the SMART
thing to do [OPINION HERE] is to send even a head which appears to be fine
through the machine shop.

Later, JR
CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)