<VV> dumb, dumber, dumbest

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 09:04:56 EST 2007

My dumb list is long.  Very long indeed
There is one item that stands out in my mind. It is properly on the "badly hacked work-around/should have worked on it sooner" list, and it led duh-rectly to a nearly 40 year long chain of events that got a new link or 2 added just last weekend. Fortunately although the original chain was made of heavy, rusty, sharp links, somehow most have aged to become pleasant subtle memories for me, that seem also so far to withstand CRS. Plus the recent links are usually made of something soft and shimmering, a lot like sun light.

Somehow I broke loose my 63 Spyder's battery post.  Rather than buying a new battery I took to parking in areas with a slope and bump starting it. I consider the continued bump starting as the dumb thing. As my daily start and end destination was the continuosly sloping GMI parking garage, it did seem to work out pretty good for a while.  Except that Spyder had posi, and I would bump start it in reverse by rolling backwards out of the parking spot.  After not-that-long some thing in the diff let go, and the thin side cover cracked, or maybe the order was reversed. I jacked up the car in the garage enught to extract and rebuilt the diff. I Un-knowingly installed a seal badly somehow, or maybe a did not even replace them (student budget, and that new posi was almost 100 bucks). Plus, A day or 2 later two buddies and I  had planned to head out to California for our break at changeover (US auto makers pivotal annual re-tool event. This would have been THE summer of 1969 changeover from
 which Corvairs already had been excluded).   The oil sneaked out as we drove, and (dumb thing 2) I did not monitor the fluids every 100 miles after a fresh repair).The bearings, full of ring and pinion gear wear debris, gave up in Gallup New Mexico.  A junk yard (foolishly) relented to letting us use a couple of their HiLift jacks  (http://amrys.devl.org/photo/bel-air-04/bel-air-04-Images/31.jpg) to raise the rear of the car WAY in the air to (try) to fix it.
Then came a string of really dumb, supremely dumb links, working and probably even sleeping under that car perched up in the air like that.  But added to the memory/story/joke chain running in parallel were some fine links (finks?). They are  engraved with fine images, like talking a young transmission shop owner into taking us to get parts.  His vehicle of choice was an old GMC pickup, to which he had added a 413 Chrysler and drag slicks. We 3 rode in the back, and he invited a few  handsome young Indian women to ride up front with him.

Maybe that was not such a dumb thing after all.

 Dan Timberlake