<VV> Stripped threads/plug holes

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 18 01:13:18 EST 2007

Yes, it is possible to repair the threads in a Corvair spark plug hole
without removing the head.

There must be some reason to be a bit paranoid about doing this, but for
the life of me, I really don't know what they are. It certainly is
easier than doing it in a VW bug with the engine still in the car,
although generally it is easier to R&R the bug engine.  I wouldn't go
out of my way to put aluminum cuttings in the combustion chamber, but if
some do get in there, what is going to happen?  The first time that
cylinder fires, any aluminum cuttings should be vaporized.

I've done this on  non-corvair aluminum heads while installed, generally
trying to have the exhaust valve open, and using compressed air to
attempt to clear the chamber of anything that didn't stick to the
well-greased Heli-Coil tap.  It's never caused me any grief of which I
was aware.  You just DON"T want to drop that little piece you break off
the insert into the engine.

Never done this with anything but Heli-Coils, and with the big tap with
the 14mm starter threads to make sure you are going straight.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland