<VV> Stripped threads/plug holes/ dumb

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 18 15:58:34 EST 2007

 > >  Best spark plug "repair" I've seen was on an engine someone gave
me. It had a stripped plug hole so they had wrapped black electrical
tape around it and screwed it back in the hole! < <

okay, dumb things I've done -- lots -- but no eloquent verbiage here --
the above reminds me of an F-85 my dad briefly owned, and which I also
drove briefly -- long before I met either my first Corvair or Heli-Coil
-- aluminum 215 with a stripped #8 plug hole. It sorta had enough
threads to hold the plug in until you put a good load on the engine, at
which point it would blow out, so you'd stop, take the plug off the end
of the wire, push/screw it back in, and travel on till it happened
again.  Dad told me to "fix it", method not important, just cheap -- he
wanted to sell it, and it was his car.  So I hacksawed some self tapping
slots in a used 18mm plug and screwed that puppy in -- hope none of
y'all wound up with that motor ...

There are probably some 'Vair heads out there with similar mutilations
having been done on them.

Bill Strickland