<VV> Brake Gremlin

David B. Neale david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 19 16:35:09 EST 2007

Stephen,
                many years ago my brother's '65 Monza developed a brake
fault ..... when starting out on a journey with cold brakes, the car ran
fine.  However, in traffic, the brakes miraculously applied themselves.
Gently at first, but harder and harder, until the car didn't want to
move at all.  After a very great deal of head-scratching, we discovered
that the adjustable rod running from the brake pedal lever to the master
cylinder was .... well, maladjusted.  Backing it off a little, (thus
shortening it),  restored the brakes to their former glory.

Interestingly, the front shoes got so hot that the friction linings fell
off. To my great shame, (but this was many years ago, remember), we used
epoxy to glue the linings back nto the shoes.  Getting replacement
Corvair brakes in England on a Sunday isn't easy.

Despite my shame, the glued-on linings remained in place throughout the
100 miles journey from London to Coventry.

David