<VV> New Clutch Isnt Working

Steve Brennan Alohaz at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 22 02:40:52 EST 2007

I just installed a new Kevlar clutch in my 1962 Spyder Coupe.  All seemed to
go well with the installation of the clutch and putting the drivetrain back
in the car, at least until I started the engine and tried  putting the car
in gear (while the car was still on stands).  While I can get it into 1st,
2nd and 3rd gear, it does not feel smooth, as it was before installing the
new clutch.  Worse yet, if I try to put it into 4th gear or reverse, it just
grinds, as if I was not stepping on the clutch at all.  Double pumping, etc.
has no effect on this problem.

I have reviewed pix I took during the installation process, and it appears
the clutch disk is in properly, as the weld bead on the hub is on the
pressure plate side, and I cannot see the any evidence of the imprinted
words "Flywheel Side" through the pressure plate fingers.   In addition, all
the linkage appeared to line up properly and I have checked and rechecked
the clutch adjustments several times.

While I dread the thought of pulling the drivetrain out again, if that is
what needs to be done, then so be it.  But I would really appreciate any
suggestions or  advice before I start all over.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Steve Brennan