<VV> RE: Adapter for thermister / dumbest thing part 3

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Nov 22 16:31:46 EST 2007

When I built my 180 motor this spring, I used 95 HP heads which of course
weren't drilled for a thermister.  I had purchased an adapter from Clarks
but having bought it well in advance, I couldn't find it when I needed it.
(Naturally).  I recalled having drilled several heads back in the 70's and
80's so I figured "why not" and decided to drill the 95 heads.

I had a sample head for the depth, so I used that to help me mark the drill
bit and went at it - very carefully. Just about the time I was to be done, I
used compressed air to blow out the chips for the 10th time. At the bottom
of the hole, there was a little black dot; perhaps a void in the casting?  A
pick proved it otherwise - the pick went right into the combustion chamber
:-(.

Fortunately, I have a heliarc so I just welded-up the hole (after
dismantling the completed engine). Once welded, it was off to the machine
shop for a $50 mill-job.  While it was off at the machine shop, I finally
located the $20 adapter. The whole thing set me back about four days.

I should have just spent more time looking for the adapter - it was quite a
disappointment to damage my "new" cylinder head.

Oh, the trials...
Craig Nicol