<VV> RE: New clutch isn't working

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 21:33:25 EST 2007

Steve, it has been my experience that new clutches won't fully release until
they are used a bit. I've had to adjust the clutch linkage to zero or
slightly less than zero clearance and run that way for 100 miles or so of
in-town use to smooth them up.

Once the clutch surfaces are smoothed up a bit, the clutch linkage must then
be relaxed to normal free play or the throw-out bearing will be damaged.
Also, for full stroke of the clutch, the starting position of the cross
shaft by the transmission should be about 5/8" to 3/4" from the transmission
support - this is at the inboard side where the clutch cable attaches.  If
the starting point is with the lever resting on the transmission support,
there won't be enough stroke to fully release the clutch.

Craig Nicol