<VV> New Clutch Isnt Working

Steve Brennan Alohaz at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 25 19:30:45 EST 2007

What is the "fix" for a tight pilot bushing.  Will it "wear in" over time,
or does the drive train have to be dropped and the bushing replaced?

I have been driving my Spyder around the neighborhood today, maximizing my
starts and stops, hoping to "burn in" the Kevlar clutch.  Unfortunately, I
still cannot put the transmission in reverse with the car running -- it just
grinds.  So in order to back up, I have to shut the car off, put it in
reverse, and then restart the car.  When it is time to go forward, I again
have to shut the car off in order to put it in first gear.  I have backed
off my initial clutch rod adjustment (less than no free play) because I
could feel the clutch slipping.  Now the clutch "grabs" just fine, but even
when depressed, there is a bind on the engine.  I can "quick shift" from
first to second, but with a bit of a "clunk" rather than a smooth
transition.  I did not even try shifting into third or fourth, but I do know
I still cannot put it in either of those gears when the car is idling,
standing still.

I was hoping my driving today (about 7 miles total) would result in some
minimal signs of improvement, but so far nothing.  So I am back to thinking
about that damn bushing . . ..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Steve