<VV> Questions on '63 clutch

Wood, Robyn K ITC(SW) wood.robyn at cvn72.navy.mil
Sun Nov 25 19:20:52 EST 2007

Hello all,

I am in the process of replacing the clutch on our '63 Spyder Vert.  I ordered the parts before I was able to drop the drive train and see what the PO had installed.  A few issues have cropped up and was hoping for some input from the knowledgeable. (this is my first 4 speed car, only PG's before.)

1.  It appears I have a one-piece solid flywheel installed.  It looks like the picture in Clark's '06 cat pg 109. (assuming the FLAT style would be a flat surface edge to edge?)  The surface shows glazing and a little wear.  I am assuming I can have this surfaced, but are there listed specs incase it has been surfaced before?  Additionally, when I pulled the flywheel off, I also pulled off what would appear to be a retaining ring that Clark's catalog says should not be used in this application (on reassembly I plan on keeping this off.)

2.  The clutch disc I ordered in was for a '63, the style I removed was a solid center design; the new was a riveted center design.  When I dry fitted it to see the difference, the rivets hit the flywheel retaining bolts (a lot).  Would this be an issue with the later model flywheel/early model clutch disc combo or possibly an issue with the unneeded retaining ring?

3. With the flywheel being a '64 and up, the pressure plate will need to match correct?  The style on the car has straight teeth on the ring gear, the new one has a step machined into the ring gear.  Also, the throw out bearing appears to be different, the one on the car was shorter than the new one, again, I would assume this to be a difference in EM/LM clutch assemblies.

4. Is there anything else I should be looking at now that I have everything open?

I have been out to sea for the last 6 weeks, and was trying to do this over the Thanksgiving holiday, but it appears that Murphy is intent on picking on the '63 clutches recently. (hats off to Steve, only hope that mine gets off the ground the first time...)

Appreciate any assistance,

Robyn Wood,
Whidbey Is, WA
'63 Spyder Vert.