<VV> Argghhh...Stinking Heater Woes!

David Fasgold dfasgold at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 20:04:43 EST 2007

My car's heater always smells like the exhaust is hooked up directly to the heater ducts. I fight this problem every time it gets cold outside, get frustrated, and give up. I've tried everything, short of replacing the exhaust downtubes (lots of work, haven't had the energy yet). I tried checking for exhaust leaks the other day. With the engine cold, I removed the fan belt, briefly started the car and felt around the manifolds for leaks. I couldn't find anything. I've replaced all the exhaust packings and heater hoses. The engine is very clean. I don't imagine it is a leaky head gasket, since I've had this problem for almost nine years and the car runs fine. Could there be some sort of crankcase leak causing the odor?
David