<VV> Argghhh...Stinking Heater Woes!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 22:48:23 EST 2007

Carbon momoxide is colorless and odorless, which is why it it such a
good killer. If you have access to a CO detector, check the interior of
your car.

Exhaust usually has a slight odor due to other compounds besides CO.

If there is a strong smell with the heater on, it is probably oil on hot
engine parts. Or something in the heater system (mice?). Take off the
turkey roaster and look for top cover leaks, oil on cylinders, etc.
Check gasket in oil cap and dipstick ferrule.  Most Corvairs have a
slight odor with the heat on due to the many ways for oil to leak and
the fuel to evaporate from the carbs (idle vent valve, bowl vent).
Downtube problems are rare, but they can rust at the manifold packing
flange.

New packing smell really bad!

So does getting a plastic bag stuck to the muffler. gggg

Frank DuVal