<VV> License Plate Light Conversion to LED?

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 28 20:05:11 EST 2007

At 06:24 PM 11/28/2007, George Jones wrote:
>Keep in mind that LED's typically have a narrow viewing angle. For instance,
>a LED with a 60 degree viewing angle can be seen effectively from any
>direction within 30 degrees of the top center of the LED. For early model
>Tail/Brake/Signal lamps, as well as license lamps, this shouldn't present
>much of a problem since their bulb socket faces rearward and the LED's would
>project at the correct viewing angle. For late models, however, the bulb
>socket insert from the bottom of the lamp housing at about a 30 degree angle
>(a guess) from the horizontal. This would result in the need to mount the
>LED's in the bulb socket at about a 60 degree angle, and ensure it faces
>rearward.
>
>There are a number of 1157 LED replacement bulbs available commercially, and
>when inserted in the socket, they appeared bright enough (looking straight
>on, or from the side), but when inserted in a late model socket, it just
>didn't seem bright enough for my personal taste.

Yep.   That's why I mentioned "rolling yer own" seeing as how the
available consumer market LED replacements don't work quite right in
a late 'Vair tail lamp socket.   That's why I never considered them,
thought it would work much better if I made my own since I know of a
source for the right parts.   It's easy to point the LEDs in the
right direction etc and you can even pick and choose the emission you
want... and some of the red LEDs are *very* bright.   The amber
variants aren't too bad either, and of course there's the white which
seem to be making their way into a lot of flash lights anymore.

Custom DIYS LED replacements for the bulbs would be the way to go in
a late 'Vair, what with the particular mounting issues of a Corvair
tail lamp socket.    The commercially available tail light
replacements will work OK for an early... although the backup lights
would have to be cobbled; same issue as the late 'Vair, sideways socket.

tony..