<VV> License Plate Light Conversion to LED?

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:24:01 EST 2007

Keep in mind that LED's typically have a narrow viewing angle. For instance,
a LED with a 60 degree viewing angle can be seen effectively from any
direction within 30 degrees of the top center of the LED. For early model
Tail/Brake/Signal lamps, as well as license lamps, this shouldn't present
much of a problem since their bulb socket faces rearward and the LED's would
project at the correct viewing angle. For late models, however, the bulb
socket insert from the bottom of the lamp housing at about a 30 degree angle
(a guess) from the horizontal. This would result in the need to mount the
LED's in the bulb socket at about a 60 degree angle, and ensure it faces
rearward.

There are a number of 1157 LED replacement bulbs available commercially, and
when inserted in the socket, they appeared bright enough (looking straight
on, or from the side), but when inserted in a late model socket, it just
didn't seem bright enough for my personal taste.

YMMV

--
Ask me how you can win this 64 Monza Convertible

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/65CrownV8/TCC%20Project%20Car/

George Jones
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)(since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397326
'66 Monza Coupe Custom (in progress)