<VV> broken bolts on rear control arms- any tricks/hints to getting them out?

Neil Bristol neil_ljl at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 14:23:17 EST 2007

  I have 66 Corsa Convertible project that I have been tinkering with for 5 years now. I dropped the drive train 3 years ago to fix the fly wheel, e and a couple other things. Anyway while I had the back end in the air and drive train out – I though “What the heck, I will take the whole rear suspension off and rebuild that too” (famous last words) - In the process I sheared off 5 of the eight bolts that hold the rear control arms to the car- At the time I thought “Damn- oh well I’ll just drill and tap those when I get the rest of the stuff done”.

   Fast forward to the present- recently I decided to get this thing rolling so I could take it for badly needed rocker panel surgery and I am having a heck of a time trying to drill out the remnants of the bolts that attached the control arms (trailing arms) to the body of the car.

  Question: Does anyone have experience with cutting an access panel in the floor to get to the backside of these little buggers? Any other suggestions?

  Oh Yes-  I know that is a lot of broken bolts, and yes I used penetrating oil for weeks , and heated them with a torch, Tapped them with a hammer, worked them gently back and forth and took my time, etc, etc. They sheared off anyway. So, Please, no speeches on how stupid I must be to break off that many bolts- it is now done- I just need to get them out.  Thanks ;)

Neil

Neil Bristol
BayShore Corvair Club
NJACE

66 Corsa Convertible( project)
66 Monza 140 Coupe(Driver)
85 Mercedes 300TD (everyday car)
4 Kids, Wife, Mortgage, etc on the Scenic (and overtaxed) NJ Shore