<VV> Low oil pressure in a late model

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Oct 2 08:16:59 EDT 2007

As Harry said, you DO have a temperature switch in the right head. You
may see the wire going to it if you look through the damper door on the
right side. It does share the same connection as the oil pressure
switch. I guess GM was saving a light bulb and wiring.

Buy a mechanical oil pressure gage and screw it into the hole instead of
the oil pressure sending switch. The type with a plastic hose is fine
for this application. You don't need lab accuracy, just a relative
reading. If you have over 10 psi of oil pressure, the problem lies in
the wiring. The switch opens at less than 10 psi.

Cause of low oil pressure? Worn bearings or excessive clearance in the
oil circuit. Rarely an oil pump issue.

Frank DuVal