<VV> Oil... Put the ZDDP Back In

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 16:35:11 EDT 2007

What one could do to find out the levels of ZDDP in a particular additive
would be to send it off to a oil lab to have it checked for it's contents.
What you may want to do is mix it first with the oil you plan on using
before you send it in.  Many oil companies freely publish the levels of zddp
in their oils so using this with the results obtained from the oil lab would
give you the level of ZDDP in the additive.  Usually these tests are around
$20 -$30.

If you go by the list published by http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
GM's EOS had the highest level of ZDDP of all the additives listed.  Next in
line was STP Red.  From their testing you can figure out how much EOS or STP
you would need to add to a given oil to get to at least a .15% (1500ppm)
level.

I know Crane Cams is making an oil additive high in ZDDP now as a result of
the new oils but no idea what levels.  They're advertising it as a break in
additive only same as GM's EOS but you know why!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!