<VV> Corvair Autocross Report

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 19:52:34 EDT 2007

?? Who would have believed it? -Oct 7 was the hottest autocross day of the year.
It was 90 + at Grissom AFB with high humidity and no breeze.
?? It was so hot that while I was working someone felt sorry for me and brought me an unbrella for shade. I opened up the plain grey umbrella and it had a nearly naked young ?woman on the inside. The laughs keep me from passing out from the heat.?
????
???** This was the Geezer's day!? **

? It was the Rumble in the Jungle for Michael and I . the fight of the century and more blah, blah.
Indy Region puts on the greatest events at Grissom via the Lary Hartz designed course. Plenty of tail- out power- on sweepers and tigher "technical" ( I hate that expression) ?stuff also.
?? The smaller cars won overall , but the larger ones had great fun also. WE got to choose our own lines. GReat organization and friendliness. I hear that at the Nationals the line choice was decided by the path in the sand created by the car class ahead of you;. too bad if you were wider.
?? The huge smooth , clean, concrete course? is grippy and the design missed most of the bumps.
? At the risk of boring most of you---there's a delete key close by. Michael and I have nearly identical CP Corvairs. Same engine size , tires?, weight and gearing. His is naturally aspirated 13/1 (great sound) and mine is?8/1 and turboed(lousy sound). This?long--little bit of 3rd--course is the best possible chance?for a turbo. Michael would have clobbered me at a smaller venue--too bad, today was mine, but it was close. Michael beat me recently at Nelson Ledges and Waterford--so there.?

???I got a 47.015 and he a 47.71. Both of these were on our third run out of 6.
?? We let the contest go to our heads and the?over aggression was not rewarded by better times.?If you ever wanted to see two Corvairs driven at their absolute limits, today was the day.?
??? We did the first runs at 6500+ rpm in 2nd gear. We both switched to 3rd at about?5200 and both went about 1 sec faster---go figure.
???? My car did not feel turboed. I attribute this to the larger engine and the smaller turbo exhaust
section.?
?? There was another diffference that we had not paid much attention to until today. He has wider rear tires, but and open differential and I have a positration.?
??? On the overly aggressive runs his car spun tires and oversteered, In the same conditions, mine pushed the front tires. This difference wasn't ?really noticable while driving sanely.?Thankfully people are generally appreciative of the old vintage Corvairs.? Thanks.
??? Now, which car should I take to the Charlotte?Corvair fall affair, the small one of the large one?.

On another note, in the past, clubs have had?Holloween costumes at the near Halloween events--how about on the?Oct 28 event , Indy?

Warren

?
?????
????