<VV> Dist

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Oct 10 16:10:22 EDT 2007

Careful checking of the distributor base (specifically the collar
that the hold-down clips on) and the side of the rear engine cover
(specifically next to the distributor hold-down ring) you will see
two vertical alignment marks cut into these pieces.  They are at the
7 o'clock position when viewed from above.   They are not exact but a
place for the factory to set the distributor before test firing the
engine.   Specifically the distributor alignment goes like this
.  Rotate the engine to so that #1 cylinder TDC is on the compression
stroke. Now align the distributor rotor so that it points directly
behind the vehicle (the 6 o'clock position when viewed from
above).  With the stem of the vacuum advance at the 5 o'clock
position insert the distributor into the rear cover.  Make sure the
oil pump shaft slot is at the 11-5 o'clock position or the
distributor will not drop in.  Rotate the distributor base to align
the marks. After replacing the hold down, (tighten it down reasonably
tight), distributor cap and distributor - coil wire, fire it up.  A/C
- A.I.R cars have a slightly different procedure because of belt interference.

Of course,this works only with stock stuff.  Specific instructions
are found in the 1961 shop manual pages 8-32/33
Jim Davis