<VV> Looking for old "Car & Driver" article

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 23:38:07 EDT 2007

<snip>It must have been about 10-15 years ago.  I'm pretty sure it was Car &

Driver because I used to subscribe to it.  Anyway the article was a short
take on a company that was reviving LM corvair coupes and verts.  They were
selling them completely redone with suspension packages, alloy wheels,
performance tires, fresh paint for around $4K.  If I recall correctly the
article pictured a burgundy car.  It was only one page or two at most.

Does anyone have this article or know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Steve Brown
'62 Rampside
Media, PA <unsnip>

I think you are talking about Solar Automotive.  AFIK, they are the only
company that rebuilt and resold Corvairs.  They made models called the
Cavalier and the Sprint.  I went back with a friend and picked up his Sprint
in 1974, slightly after the end of their run. (The business was closing at
that point).  Solar (Art Hershberger) bought the rights to the Fitch Sprint
name and some of the old Fitch Sprint tooling (Vent top).  I vaguely
remember a C & D article but it would have been ca 1973, not in the 90's.

Recently I had a Solar Sprint that was built by an individual using pieces
purchased from Solar's extensive catalog.  I just sold it about two weeks
ago.  I still have a Solar catalog.
Craig Nicol