<VV> Suspension Fasteners

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 02:07:59 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/11/2007 7:40:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jekepler at amplex.net writes:

I pull  the nut and cage off the car, make a steel
reinforce roughly the same  dimensions as the nut-plate, and go back in with
a Grade 8 Nylock nut that  I can actually torque!  YMMV!

John

John - Somehow, using a torque rating with a Nylock fastener seems strange.
Doesn't the torque, and the resultant bolt stretch, act as the prevailing
clamping and anti-release force. Would the nylon act as a seal on the end of the
threads?  I am not saying it wouldn't be just fine. I've just never  seen how
it might affect the torque. As you noted, whenever grade 8  fasteners are
used to replace grade 5 or grade zip bolts, the other part of the  fastener - the
nut should be a grade 8 as well. The torque that is used  must be matched to
the fastener too.  - Seth