<VV> Front suspension rebuild advice

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 12 14:11:37 EDT 2007

     I have several different spring compressors.  Out of the car I used 2 compressors on a spring.  It was no problem getting the stock springs out.  It was more of a problem getting the the 2" drop springs that we're using back in.  I had to cut down a set of the spring compressors to make them work.

     We had the cross member on an ATV jack that has 2X4's bolted to it  so we could raise and lower it as we worked on it.  We did not bolt it down as my son and I were both working on it, and one of us could hold it where that was necessary.  The cross member was painted in POR-15 and we had the upper and lower A-arms powder coated a "teal" color to sort of match the car.  We wrapped them in Saran Wrap to protect them during re-assembly and they did not get chipped, and neither did the cross member.  It really went quite well, and when everthing was back together, we jacked up the cross member to the body and inserted and torqued the six bolts (which are grade 8).

                 Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                 Raleigh NC       65 500 coupe