<VV> Quality of parts?

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Oct 20 09:29:28 EDT 2007

Having played (and currently still playing) with a wide variety of
marques, I can readily tell you that a Corvair is one of the cheapest
collector cars out there to restore and maintain, mostly from the ready
availability of reproduction parts and a variety of specialty vendors.
(Some marques have a single specialty vendor... check out Amphicar parts
prices if you want to see how that works out...) We are _extremely_
fortunate to have the engaged and active vendor community that we do.

That being said, as long as you stay with products from an established
Corvair vendor (and you are correct to compare the two "biggies" as the
prices between each do vary on certain products), I think you will be
pleased with the quality of the vast vast majority of the reproduction
parts, whether bought individually or in the convenient "kit". The very
best way to see the differences in parts is to join a local CORSA
chapter, look at members' cars, and listen to their restoration stories.

 I'm afraid I can't give you a negative report on any resto part
purchased from any of the Corvair vendors; my experiences there have all
been positive..

Leave the Corvair community and shop with "general" vendors and it can
be a real "mixed bag" of quality... though these universal vendors do
tend to carry a better selection of Corvair radiator caps than the
specialty vendors! ;-)

Welcome to the community!

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD