<VV> Re: LM kick panel

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 21:18:49 EDT 2007

Roy,

The bigblock hood is a poor example of a "specially designed" part, because it isn't. It's a regular production part, much the same as, say, a turbo decklid emblem. Nothing special there. Whereas a hardtop two-piece kick panel would be a seriously "specially designed" part. It would require at least a modification of the existing one-piece hardtop kickpanel part.'s die. Not something the factory would tool up for.

When I refered the convertible as an "afterthought", I wasn't refering to the body style being the afterthought, but rather the planning and coordination between the two to be the afterthought. And as I pointed out, had they known that the convertible was going to need that brace (which REQUIRES a two piece kickpanel), the hardtop most likely would have gotten a two-piece design as well - for cost consideration reasons, if not  because of part commonality reasons. It's simply much cheaper to commonize as many parts as possible, and run those parts like crazy. The higher the volume, the cheaper the part becomes to make.

The "cocktail shaker" dampers would, of necessity, be constructed different, because all those cars would differ in their harmonic resonance, which is the problem the dampers address. They are tuned for each vehicle type's particular hormonics. Again, a bad example on your part.

GM NEVER 'pisses away" money without (in their judgment) good reason. Those factors usually remain unknown to the general public. You've got to remember, I worked for GM for 30 years, so I KNOW how they think. And they won't spend a dime frivolusly (at least in their mind's eye.)

With the convertibles that I've worked on (either servicing, playing with, or parting out), I never encountered the amount of gray putty that you may have encountered. So all I can say is that the two-piece convertible doesn't need gobs of gray putty. What I was pointing out is that there CAN very well be material savings. The vent stack can be sealed with the smallest of sealant beads rather than the gobs of putty that are needed on the hardtop installation.

When you are refering to the two-piece system installed on a hardtop, are you saying that the convert parts were used, despite the hump in the kick panel? Because what I'm refering to would be a specially designed mold just for the hardtop version, similar to the convertible's panel. I would be totally skeptical of just such part having been built, other than for maybe the tech center labs, and those would indeed be one-off's.

Finally, the "build cars at all costs", regardless of not having a supply of  *correct* parts available would not be a decision that GM would take lightly.  Sure, it MAY happen from time to time. Usually, it involves an upgrade, like the radio incident you cited. But the kick panel would be hardpressed to qualify using that reason. That is the reason why I am skeptical, unless and until some of those are documented as flukes. And that is all I'm saying. To paraphrase the movie line, "show me the parts."

-Mark