was: <VV> computer geek help - Are your caps for blowing their tops ?

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Oct 19 22:41:22 EDT 2007

Hi there in PC-not-so-Wonderland !

I recently had a problem similar to yours, and was told by numerous techies
that it was the power supply (I had a 350, and 'upgraded' to 550), but it
only bought me a little more time.

The REAL problem was the caps on the motherboard were being overloaded
apparently protected the CPU by literally blowing their tops, similar to
pressurized babyfood jars.

Check to tops of the caps (the little 'tin cans' mounted all over the MB for
'dome shaped' tops.  They should be concave, and when they overload, the
'pop' up.

I backed up most of my stuff, so I didn't lose anything except little things
I didn't think were important (but now wish I had, like my Outlook address
book).

I'm being told that the drive is no longer accessible except by the MB that
formatted it (I haven't verified this yet), and the MB cannot be saved (at
least within reasonable $$), although the CPU is OK.

Point is that you may still have a problem if the power supply was not the
cause, so check your caps for blowing their tops ?

Chaz