was: <VV> computer geek help - backups No Corvair

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Oct 19 23:10:16 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

Most folks don't realize until it happens - the most valuable part of
your computer is the data.  With DVD and CD burners and cheap flash
drives, there are quite a few options for backups.  There are also
reasonable packages for doing backups - even a Sync program will work
(I use Chronosync for Macs and SyncToy for Windows to do quicky
backups to a $10 flash drive).  If you can output to PDF, that is an
ideal way to archive things that are important (e.g. tax returns)
that you may wish to read after the software is gone.  Keep in mind
that a mirror is *not* the same as a backup.  If a glitch wipes out
your mirrored hard drives, you now have two useless drives.  For
extra credit, consider keeping a CD/DVD copy of your files at another
location (mail to a relative, drawer at work, etc.) and update that
every quarter.

--Bryan